-water based intumescent paint for spray foam
DC 315 applied over Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF), is an Alternative Barrier System in “Section 2603.9 Special Approval” as a thermal barrier. To be approved as an Alternative Barrier System, DC 315 is applied over a manufacturer’s SPF and tested to the criteria of an NFPA 286, UL 1715, UL 1040, or FM 4880 for duration of 15 minutes by an accredited fire testing facility. Products that pass an ignition barrier tested under AC 377 Appendix X are not appropriate alternative thermal barriers and cannot be used. Depending on your particular application, either ignition or thermal barriers are required by the International Building Code (IBC).
Advantages of Using DC315 SPF:
- DC 315 is the only 3rd party inspected fire protective coating for SPF
- Marked and Listed by Warnock Hersey Intertek W/N 20947
- Single coat coverage reducing labor and material costs equaling higher profits
- Industry leading spread rate
- Passed CAL 1350 – safe for use in schools and high occupancy buildings
- Passed strict EPA – V.O.C. and AQMD air emission requirements (for all 50 states)
- Approved for Incidental Food Contact complies with NSF/ANS1-51 requirements of USDA
- Easily applied with a sprayer, roller, or brush with no complicated mixing
- 1 year shelf life
- Fast and easy clean-up, with no waste and fast turnaround time
- Compatible with any paintable construction material
- Meets Life Safety Code 101
- Meets LEED’s point requirements
- No formaldehyde
DC 315 is the most tested and approved product in the world for use as an, “Alternative Thermal Barrier Coating System” over Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF).
Building Code Fire Performance Requirements for SPF:
The International Building Code (IBC) mandates that SPF be separated from the interior of the building by a 15 minute thermal barrier, or other approved covering. DC 315 passed certified NFPA 286 and UL 1715 test over a variety of open and closed cell spray applied urethane foams that were conducted by ISA certified testing facilities. All tests performed comply with the requirements of 2006 IBC Section 803.2.1 & 2009 IBC Section 803.1.2, and Section 2603.9; 2012 IBC Section 803.1.2 and Section 2603.10 under “Special Approvals for Thermal Barriers over Foam Plastics”. DC315 is WHI marked and certified via 3rd party inspection for quality assurance and consistency.
Alternative 15 min Thermal Barrier Assemblies:
(e.g. Exposed SPF or SPF with a Thermal Barrier Protective Covering) The assembly must remain in place for 15 minutes during specified largescale fire tests, such as NFPA 286, UL 1715, UL 1040, or FM 4880.
Alternative Ignition Barrier Assemblies DC 315 meets the requirements for ignition barrier per AC 377, Appendix X
- SDS – MSDS
- Data Sheet
- Durability and Impact Testing
- Food Contact Approval
- CA 1350 High Occupants
- SPFA 126 Code Compliance Explained